The land known as Irvine has been inhabited for over 2,000 years. The Gabrielino Native Americans were one of the first to set up villages in the San Joaquin Valley. In 1837 the San Juan Capistrano mission granted Don Jose Sepulveda this area, later to be named Rancho San Joaquin. 30 years later, Rancho San Joaquin was sold to the Flint, Bixby & Co., of which James Irvine was a silent partner.
We have selected Rancho San Joaquin as the new name of our district. The Rancho San Joaquin District will serve the youth and volunteers of the Boy Scouts of America for the City of Irvine.